Friday, March 28, 2014

My Sewing Studio

I've been working hard the last few days organizing and straightening up my sewing studio.  I love saying studio...makes it seem so professional.  LOL  Not sure if anyone remembers but going back a few years the TV reality show America's Got Talent had an audition of a woman singing, "I'll be in My Studio"  -- that song became my song when it came to sewing and my sewing space.  Because of my passion and love for sewing I sang that song to my family.  They think I'm crazy....by hey, they know where they'll find me...."I'll be in My Studio, Studio"  LOL

I'm sitting here laughing...now all the kids are singing, "I'll be in My Studio, Studio" -- it's such a catchy tune. 

Anyhow, here is my Studio.  I have a super small nook in our basement.  It's 10.5 feet wide and 7 feet deep.  I've made the space super functional and efficient. I have two over-head lights. Each fixture holds 3 bulbs and I use the daylight bulbs.  I love, love the bright light it gives off!

I bought a heavy-duty  L-shaped office desk (7.5' x 7.5') to set all of my sewing machines one.  The first machine is my stand-alone embroidery machine, then my main sewing machine, next are two sergers, and on the end is my cover-stitch machine.  I love having my machines in line;  my chair is on wheels so I literally wheel from machine to machine.

Inside my nook is a look at my small ironing station.  I have everything I need to press while I sew.  

Here is a view to the right of my studio.  It's the only natural light I have coming in, so good over-head lighting was crucial when we set up my area.  The only problem is....I get constantly reminded of my need to exercise!!  Hmmm....should I sew or exercise????  It's hard to find that balance.

I am a crazy organizer and love organizing things -- especially sewing things.  Here is how I've organized my thread. The tower to the left holds all my sewing machine thread.  Each bin is colour coded for easy selection. To the right are two drawer units that hold my serger threads.  Again, thread is grouped by colour. 

                              

I organize my patterns like this.  All my Ottobre magazines are stored by season in Ikea magazine racks.

I take a copy of the design page of each issue and place them in a 3-ring binder for easy access.  

I store my big three patterns quite similar.  I take a copy of the pattern front and back and place them in plastic paper protector and place the patterns in applicable binder.


I'm very fortunate to be able to store all my fabric on shelves in a walk-in style closet just in front of my sewing studio.  It's a tiny little room (4 1/2 feet x 4 1/2 feet), but its space is utilized to its full potential.  LOL

I organized the fabrics by type and colour.  

Denim, corduroy, sweatshirt fleece, velour and sherpa are on the floor.

Solid knits are on the first shelf organized by colour.

The 2nd shelf is girl knits. The 3rd shelf holds all cotton wovens, flannel, misc. type wovens.  The upper shelf is where I've placed my stash of PRR, Munki-munki, and my much loved Heather Ross collections.  To the left are all my boy knits.

I'm very pleased with how it all fits and looks.  Though I must say, I have more fabric than I know what to do with!!!!  Hmmm....I think I have a problem!!!!  LOL 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed the tour of my Studio, Studio.  LOL

Happy Sewing!


5 comments:

  1. I'm drooling over all your lovely fabrics! I love how organized your supplies, fabrics, and patterns are. I seem to start off half way organized and then end up with a huge mess. I think I have 2 boxes of pattern tracings that need to be sorted and put away from my last attempt at organizing. eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- Thanks Cindy! I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to organizing things...I love it!! Believe me when I say this, I can let my sewing area get out of hand and completely disheveled! Tracings, fabrics, notions, pattern magazines all piled up in chaos! I know when I start to twitch and sweat it's time to get things back in order! I always say this, when you organize it actually looks like a massive mess at the half way point....but then all of sudden everything is back in its proper place and it looks amazing! :)

      Delete
  2. *Drop* WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW. I'm speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear Cheryl! I was just spending a lot of time on your blog, so happy I found it! :) I noticed that you got some munki munki prints that I a desperately looking for and was wondering if you were up for swapping some tiny pieces?
    Love and hugs from Germany, Susi

    ReplyDelete