Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ottobre denim skirt

What a crazy week it's been!  Spring is officially here and my to-do lists have gone out of control!  I have so much stuff that I want to do and get done.  The house is in desperate need of painting.  I need to get down and dirty and do a thorough Spring cleaning/purging throughout the whole house.  I have exterior house painting that I wanted to do in the Fall but never got around to it.  <sigh>  I sometimes wish I could duplicate or even triplicate myself.  The real me would sew all the time and the other me's would do everything else!  LOL  Wishful thinking!

Anyhow, in spite of everything else beckoning me, I did sew a bit.  I made my oldest daughter a denim skirt. It's from the Ottobre Spring 2012 issue.  Design #33 called Airmail Express denim skirt.  Hmm...where does Ottobre come up with their names?? LOL    I sewed up the size 170 and modified the waistband by adding 1.5" to it. .  I then added 1/4"  to each seam to accommodate the larger waistband.  

It wasn't hard to sew but just took a lot time.  Mind you I never got more than 5 minutes of uninterrupted time to sew.  It probably would have sewn up quicker if I could have sewn without a million disruptions. :) 

I added octagon decorative snaps to each pocket.  The prongs were not very long so I didn't use them on the skirt front.  The denim was too thick, so I used some heavy-duty snaps that I bought for my KAM snap press.

Each seam is double topstitched (sewing each line individually) with a thick heavy white cotton thread.  It was a bit tedious as I had to change the needle and thread every time I needed to topstitch.



Here is the back of the skirt.  I stitched turquoise bartacks on all the pockets.  


The skirt waistband and the the pockets are all lined with a pretty floral cotton.

Here are a couple of modelling shots. 




All and all I'm happy and Ally is thrilled with her new skirt.  I'm not sure when I'll be back with another sewing post, as I must tackle my to-do list.   Hopefully sooner than later!!  LOL

Until next time, Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment