Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A plethora of Shorts

Oh dear....has it been almost 2 months since my last blog post!!???  Eeekkk....

Life has been busy on the farm and on the home front.  Once Easter was finished it then became field work time.  Spring field work is such a busy and hectic time.  It is when we have to take our first grass cutting off and then prepare some of our fields for planting.  I always joke...I become the Grass Widow..as I hardly see my husband.  He works literally 15-18 hour days for about 10 days.  I'm on food duty, along with my Sister-in-Law.  So we are all pretty busy.  I'm thankful though, 'cause everything is planted and growing, my own veggie garden is in and my flower beds/ tubs are looking good!  Yeah! Feels good!

We've been having such wonderful warm weather which meant bringing out the kids' Summer clothes.  Much to my dismay and horror, Jenelle literally had NO shorts to wear!  She is only 6 years old but is very tall and big for her age.  Of all my kids, she has grown the fastest!  It's hard as she's my baby and isn't staying a baby.

Anyhow, because she still is only 6 (but the size of a 9 year old), I still want her to wear age appropriate clothes.  I won't let my girls wear short shorts...just my personal preference.   In RTW, seems all the shorts offered are short-shorts in her size range!   So I got busy and started sewing.

Shorts #1
Pattern:  The Summer Sailors
Designer:  Brownie-Goose Designs
Size: 10
Fabric:  Cotton woven with red bias tape and cute anchor embossed buttons.

This is a super cute pattern, easy to whip together.  I was pleased that I was able to line up my stripes on the waistband and the hem band as they are cut separately.  End result is cute but these shorts are too small on my girl.  They are just too tight and will not be worn.  Wahhh!

Shorts #2
Pattern:  Jalie 3243
Size 10
Fabric:  Stretch woven from eon's ago that's been sitting in my stash for a very, very long time!
   
Love the simple style of these shorts.  Front pockets are awesome with the contrast facing.  End result are they are too tight once again.  <sigh>  I didn't even hem them as when my dd tried them on she was already complaining.

Shorts #3
Pattern:  Sunny Day Shorts (free PDF download)
Designer:  Oliver + S
Size:  10
Fabric:  Chez Ami cotton brushed twill

I also sewed these up in a size 10 and guess what??  They are too big!!  I didn't customize them and make any modifications to the pattern.  At the point I was in, I just wanted to find a basic shorts pattern that fit well and then I would modify and change it up.  The crotch depth is just too much and makes for a lot of excess fabric in the front crotch area.  Jenelle was freaking out.  It's an easy pattern alteration to do though.

Shorts #4
Pattern: KS 3498
Size:  Large
Fabric:  Chez Ami Cotton Lycra

These fit the best and Jenelle likes these a lot.  Simple, comfy and cute.  Finally a successful pair of shorts!! Whew!!  I was getting discouraged and frusturated!

Shorts #5
Size:  146
Fabric:  Sweatshirt Fleece

These are my favorite of all!!  I love them!  The fit is perfect and they look great with the cover-stitching on the front pockets and the contrast binding.  I love the eyelets with the drawstring too! But guess what??!!   Jenelle hates them!  Can you believe that!!  (I sound like Bubba off the Forest Gump movie) LOL   She says she hates front pockets and she abhors the fabric!!!  :(  

After all is said and done....I think I'll be making more of the Kwik Sew and the Ottobre shorts (minus the front pockets) and probably the jalie ones but in a bigger size.  My little girl is quite fussy with her clothes so I'll be sure to pick fabrics with her before I sew the next pair!  LOL

Until next time....Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment